Positions in this job class are open by institution. Please check the website at http://das.hre.iowa.gov/iowa.jobs.html to apply.
CLASS CODE: 86406
ANNUAL SALARY: $34,278 - $50,793
The Iowa Department of Corrections hires entry level Correctional Officers on a continuous basis with approximately 250 hires each year. Job opportunities are available at the following locations:
- Clarinda Correctional Facility - Clarinda (Page County), Iowa, Medium security, (712) 542-5634
- Correctional Institution for Women - Mitchellville (Polk County), Iowa, Medium security, (515) 967-4236
- Iowa Medical & Classification Center - Coralville (Johnson County), Iowa, Medium security (coed facility), (319) 626-2391
- Iowa State Penitentiary - Fort Madison (Lee County), Iowa, Maximum security, (319) 372-5432
- Anamosa State Penitentiary - Anamosa (Jones County), Iowa, Medium-Maximum security), (319) 462-3504
- Luster Heights Prison Farm - Harpers Ferry (Alamakee County), Iowa, Minimum security satellite facility of Anamosa State Penitentiary.
- Mt. Pleasant Correctional Facility - Mt. Pleasant (Henry County), Iowa, Medium security (coed facility), (319) 385-9511
- North Central Correctional Facility - Rockwell City (Calhoun County), Iowa, Minimum security, (712) 297-7521
- Newton Correctional Facility - Newton (Jasper County), Iowa, Medium security, (515) 792-7552
- Ft. Dodge Correctional Facility - Fort Dodge (Webster County), Iowa, Medium security, (641) 574-4700
DUTIES: Under immediate to general supervision, Correctional Officers perform security work dealing with adult male and female inmates who are incarcerated at state correctional institutions of the Iowa Department of Corrections. Specific duties to be performed include observation of inmate behavior, searching individuals, maintaining custodial care and control of inmates, operating electronic equipment or weapons, enforcing inmate rules and regulations, verifying inmate population, subduing disruptive inmates, preparing written reports, inspecting inmate housing units, attending training classes, and developing treatment activities and plans for inmates in conjunction with treatment staff.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Graduation from high school, or G.E.D. In addition, the following selection requirements may apply:
- Satisfactory completion of a background investigation check
- Successful completion of a psychological examination
- Successful completion of a videotape-based observation and judgment test
- Successful completion of a urinalysis test for drugs
- Completion of an in-person interview with institution staff
- Medical examination to certify ability to physically perform the essential functions of an entry level Correctional Officer
- Entry level Correctional Officers in some positions may be required to possess and maintain a valid driver's license or a commercial driver's license and have the license available during working hours
- Successful completion after hire of a five-week Pre service Training Program
- Successful completion of a six-month probationary period during which final job suitability is determined.
FOR APPLICANTS WHO PERFORM CORRECTIONAL OFFICER OR RELATED WORK IN OTHER STATES:
The Iowa Legislature has granted exceptions to the normal testing requirements for Correctional Officer candidates from other jurisdictions. You may be considered for transfer to the Iowa Department of Corrections, without having to test, if you met the following criteria:
If you work as a Correctional Officer or comparable position for a prison in a state prison system or for a privately-operated corrections facility, or you hold a security position in a jail, AND
If your initial hiring in the other jurisdiction was performed under a merit system or other competitive hiring standards, AND
If you have successfully completed at least a four-week Correctional Officer training academy or its equivalent, AND
If you have received no significant disciplinary action in the last 12 months, AND
If you have been employed as a Correctional Officer or in a comparable position for at least 12 months during the last 24 months.
The transfer process allows you to be considered for employment as a Correctional Officer without having to complete the usual testing process. You will still be required to interview and you will be required to satisfactorily complete the Correctional Officer Academy during your first six months of employment.
To obtain the State of Iowa Application form and the Test Exception Transfer Request form, contact any of the above-listed correctional facilities or the Contact Phone number (515) 242-5743.
Designated positions may require applicants to obtain a Commercial Drivers License and endorsements within a period of time as determined by the appointing authority at the time of hire.
Applicants on open lists should be certain to respond to all contacts from hiring departments regarding openings in open job titles. Failure to do so could result in removal from hire lists. If you are no longer interested in being considered for an open job title, contact the Employment team.
Go to the online Iowa.Jobs page
Other job titles open for continuous recruitment:
|Resident Treatment Worker||Correctional Officer|
|Registered Nurse||Licensed Practical Nurse|